What is Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy?
Grove City, Ohio Bioidentical Doctor, Sophia Beynen, MD of Buckeye Physical Medicine and Rehab recognizes that the body requires balance in order to sustain optimal levels and keep patients feeling—and looking—their VERY best! During menopause, and even perimenopause, the body can become either hormonally deficient or dominant. Science, however, has made it possible to eliminate many of the distressing symptoms that accompany this change in a woman’s life by way of Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy (BHRT). Contact Dr. Sophia Beynen today and learn more about what you can do to take your body—and your life—back.
A decline in hormone production is a natural part of aging in both men and women. Although it typically starts in the 30’s, most people don’t feel the full effects of declining hormones until they are closer to middle age. For men, the first indication is often problems with sexual performance and feeling like they have no ambition. Women, who are typically more in-tune with their bodies due to the monthly menstrual cycle, may complain of mood swings, weight gain, and a lowered sex drive.
The following are typical symptoms of hormone imbalance in both men and women:
- Hot flashes and night sweats
- Anxiety, depression, and irritability
- Low libido
- Memory lapses and trouble concentrating
- Weight gain
- Insomnia and sleep apnea
- Lack of muscle tone
Regardless of your age, gender, or specific symptoms, you can find relief with Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy (BHRT).
Traditional Hormone Replacement Therapy
Because hormones affect so many functions of the human body, it may take you a while to realize that many of the uncomfortable symptoms you are experiencing are related. For example, you may receive individual prescriptions for frequent headaches or insomnia only to continue to struggle in other areas. This is because most traditional doctors treat symptoms without exploring the root cause. You become increasingly frustrated and discouraged as your doctor keeps missing the connection between your symptoms and hormone imbalance.
Some doctors may suggest synthetic hormone replacement therapy after other treatments fail to bring relief. Unfortunately, this may make your problems worse. Synthetic hormones are associated with several serious health conditions, including endometrial cancers, blood clots, heart attack, abnormal liver function, and pancreatitis. Additionally, they generally take longer for the body to accept and process. While the above complications are uncommon, many people do experience common side effects like nausea and muscle cramping. These can be bothersome enough for them to stop taking the synthetic hormones or prescription pills their doctors have given them.
How Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy is Different
The first major difference between Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy and synthetic hormones is that Bioidentical Hormones are created from natural plant based extracts. The natural hormones in these plants remain unchanged during the compounding process because they are nearly identical to the natural hormonal structure that exists in the human body. For most people on Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy, the similar cellular structure means that the compound is metabolized by their body faster and easier. With their hormones in balance, men and women in their 30’s, 40’s, and beyond are able to enjoy renewed energy, better health, and a more positive outlook on life.
Due to the natural interactions of Bioidentical Hormones and the body, patients are able to experience prolonged symptom relief without the risk of further complications or any undesirable side effects.
In addition to the relief of general symptoms associated with hormone decline, many holistic medical practitioners prescribe Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy to treat a variety of conditions that are ultimately related to a hormone imbalance, dominance or deficiency. These include:
- Adrenal fatigue: When your adrenal glands are working properly, they allow you to effectively manage the various stressors in your life and help build your immunity to common illnesses. However, high levels of stress, a poor diet, and other lifestyle factors can cause an imbalance that leads to chronically feeling fatigued. Optimized hormones allow the adrenal glands to function and peak efficiency and have been shown to reduce and even reverse the effects of adrenal fatigue in both men and women.
- Fibromyalgia: This condition, which happens when the brain receives faulty nerve signals, causes insomnia, fatigue, muscle pain, problems with concentration, irritable bowel syndrome, and decreased immunity to other illnesses. While the causes and specifics of fibromyalgia are still the subject of much speculation and study in the medical community, Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy Experts agree that optimizing hormones with Bioidentical Hormone Therapy can greatly reduce the symptoms of fibromyalgia.
- Thyroid disorders: The thyroid is located in your neck and controls every cell in your body. People experience many problems when it is underactive or overactive, including unplanned weight gain or loss, digestion issues, consistently feeling too hot or too cold, heart and liver function issues, high cholesterol, and decreased blood flow that can lead to anemia. Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy has been found exceptionally effective at helping the body find and maintain proper thyroid hormone balance.
Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy is also helpful for women who are struggling with menopausal symptoms and men who are dealing with conditions relating to low testosterone. If you know there is more to life than feeling tired, overweight, and moody, you owe it to yourself to find out more about Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy.
Let’s face the facts, Dr. Sophia Beynen agrees, aging is inevitable, but suffering the symptoms created by the hormonal imbalances that come along with aging, is NOT. Women—and men—no longer have to face the pitfalls of midlife hormonal changes such as: perimenopause, menopause, postmenopause, andropause (the male menopause), thyroid disease, and stress-induced adrenal fatigue, without effective solution. Dr. Sophia Beynen and Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy (BHRT) utilizes bioidentical hormones which are extracted from plants—such as soy or wild yams—and are structurally, molecularly identical to endogenous hormones. They are produced in specialized pharmacies called compounding pharmacies. Every patient’s needs are unique, so medications are tailored to meet those guidelines, and prepared on a case-by-case basis. Even the potency and delivery formats are customizable to fit the needs of the individual.
Most women will face the physiological milestone of menopause, and the infamous issue of balancing their hormones. Now, more than ever, women are recognizing their worth and honoring themselves; body, mind and spirit, by allowing time for self-care because women now realize, in order to care for those we love, we must first learn to care for ourselves.
Start Today… by contacting Grove City, Ohio Bioidentical Doctor, Sophia Beynen, MD of Buckeye Physical Medicine and Rehab. Call immediately to schedule your initial consultation. Start the process toward finding your way back to optimal health and vitality. Create the life you were meant to live. Feel your best every day, and as a result, find greater peace of mind by feeling yourself again.